Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Baby Scare

After a long weekend of packing/moving/un-packing, we woke up on Monday ready to get organizing. Our day was thrown into a complete tailspin. I was bleeding a very fair amount upon waking. I remained surprisingly calm, called the dr office and tried to figure out what to do. I swear, in all my histroy of pregnancies and scares during pregnancy I ALWAYS have the scariest days on holiday's or the weekend. That's how we ended up with a $350 ER bill when I was pregnant with Brooklyn.

Anyhow, went to the urgent care and waited for 2 hours with my very nervous husband. When we first arrived the check in nurse said that the clinic did not have and ultrasound machine, but they would listen for baby's heart beat on the doppler. When the dr finally came in she knew nothing! That was the most infuriating part. She was not a day over 25 and said she didn't even know why they told me to come to the clinic as there is nothing they can do for me. I finally burst into tears and explained what the nurse had said and she left the room to figure out if they did in fact at least have a doppler laying around somewhere.

She came back in with a nurse and the world's oldest doppler. They squeezed the gel on my uterus and then the doppler wouldn't turn on. The nurse said "uggh, I just had it working, I'll be right back". So, out she went, and then back in. The machine turned on and then turned right back off. Seriously, that's how old and decrepit this thing was! She popped the batteries out, gave it a good shake and it turned on. Would have thought we were struggling to change the channel with the remote. So, she listened, and listened and listened. I know the sound of a heart beat and the difference between that and the sound of blood flow. All I heard was my hb and blood flow. At this point tears are streaming down my cheeks as I lay there silently praying. Finally she stops and I said "what?" and the nurse said "yep, that was the baby's hb, your baby's still alive". RELIEF!

So, then we went through the myriad of questions and answers with the dr. I told her the only other bizarre symptom I have been having is that I woke up with what felt like a migraine. She then offered me a shot of morphine or a prescription of vicodin. At this point I am spent, emotionally and physically. I graciously declined the morphine and said I would try another Tylenol.

So, today I am waiting to hear back from my dr office to find out what they want me to do. I had a partial placental tear with miss Brooklyn when she was 12 weeks and I am thinking that may be the case this time. BUT I am not a dr or God, so I am speculating at this point. I am terrified they are going to put me on modified bed rest again...because I don't see how that would be possible.

The bleeding has slowed considerably, but still have the tiniest bit of spotting. So please pray with me for this little life as well as my physical healthy. I will update more later.

We don't wonder "why us?" anymore when incidents like this happen, we choose to view it as an opportunity to draw near to the Lord and rest in His wisdom and powerful hands. Everything happens for a reason, and we must trust that His ways are always better than ours.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, sweetie! I'm just shaking. I'm sooo sorry that you are re-living so many painful memories and feelings. I have been praying in earnest for this baby just as if he/she were my own. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, I'm so sorry to hear about the scare. I pray that you will get answers today and everything will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there Lauren and I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so strong and so capable of getting through this. I will be praying for you and anxiously waiting to hear what your Dr says. I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete