Friday, October 15, 2010

slow down

Last night we made home made fish and chips and sat down to dinner together, just the three of us. First off, yum! Can't believe we haven't thought to make that before, home made fried fish, seasoned french fries and pickle on the side= delicious. But I divert. Matt and I were exchanging stories from our day, Brooklyn was in the best mood and being her usual self- cracking us up, and I felt this overwhelming feeling of satisfaction with life. It just hit me, that all too often, I am so focused on what's next, what needs to be done, or what's to come, that I can overlook the preciousness of the simplest moments. There's something to be said for my very simple life. I am not rolling in the dough, seeking out a promotion, or even being thanked as much as I THINK I should be. I am not planning any extravagant trips or saving for expensive pieces of jewelry, I'm not looking for my dream home, I don't shop for myself...really ever anymore, but my life is RICH beyond measure. Every now and then it hits me, that if all I had left in this world was my faith, my husband and my child, it would be enough. But I not only have those three things to keep me going, I have MUCH more. I have amazing friendships that the Lord has hand picked for ME, amazing family who- although can make me crazy at times, would do anything for myself and my family, I have a roof over my head, food on the table every day and a greater purpose than...ME. I am rich beyond my wildest imagination. Sometimes, it just takes savoring the simple to bring me back to that reality. The way my husband makes me laugh every single day, the sound of my daughters voice when she sings "Jesus loves me", the simple fact that I know God is using me for HIM in the lives of so many people I love, that makes me rich.

No real purpose in this post, other than to express my appreciation for this life and the beauty I can see everywhere and in everyone when I chose to slow down, look around and thank Him for all He has done.

3 comments:

  1. this is why I love and appreciate you lauren! couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a refreshing post! Thank you for reminding us all how good life is...we just need to slow down and realize life's many blessings.

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete