Saturday, January 8, 2011

first smile




6am on Wednesday morning (1.5.11) Ben looked up at me after eating and grinned ear to ear. At first I thought it was just the milk smile he does when he's nursing sometimes, but then he looked right at me and smiled again! It is completely true what all the books and websites say, that little smile makes all the lack of sleep, spit up, blow outs and hours of crying (when he actually does) totally worth it! Tried to capture it, but we aren't ready to smile on command yet.
He can now completely hold his head up and look around the room for about 10 seconds or so. He loves to lay on our laps and push off with his legs or stand for a second or two. Still not diggin tummy time.
Brooklyn has entered this stage of make believe that is amazing to listen to. As I am typing she is next door in her room talking to Lily and Pinkie (two of her puppies) about flowers and the playground. She also told them they were going to have to have a "consequence" for not listening and obeying her. She is so impressionable right now. We have shifted our discipline language a bit. Instead of threatening with a spanking we now say "consequence" which means a time out of a spanking.
Sweetness = This morning I slept in a little and after I woke up she came up to me and said "I missed you today mommy because I really love you".

4 comments:

  1. so precious! love the brother sister pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like your discipline style. i notice that christina doerr does the same thing -- something like, "if you don't do xyz, there will be consequences". i liked that.

    and you're right -- smiles make the world go round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, the first smile. LOVE that. and seriously B and B look so much alike... he is just getting cuter by the day! and i love that brooklyn is getting into the imaginary play stage... so adorable to listen to, AND the bonus is that they learn to play alone much better so you can get something done! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the consequences thing from Love and Logic? Or did you come up with that on your own? I really like the motivation behind it either way. You're such a good mama!!

    ReplyDelete