Saturday, August 6, 2011

sweet nothings from my love

With all this new found time on our hands (temporary, but I'll take it) with matt out of school and home on vacation we've been doing lot's of nothing...and other fun things.

Yesterday morning we packed up, went to the toy store to get bean an early birthday gift- a pink soccer ball, then headed out for a run. Then we hit up costco, home for naps, then off to the zoo. Great day!

During nap time, matt and I decided to purge in the garage a little. Our garage is the catch all at this point. We were making nice progress until we got stalled on a few boxes full of memories. For me it was a box of old pictures, cards from when I was a kid, and other fun stuff like a porcelein doll and a barbie of mine from when I was 7 or 8. I bequeathed it to brooklyn and she has had them in her hands ever since.

Matt found a box of undergrad papers and binders as well as his old report cards from when he was young. It was fun to sit and ping back and forth with what we found.

He looked up at me and said "did I ever show you this?" reading me a letter still attached in a spiral notebook. I looked up when he finished reading it, with tears in my eyes, and said "no".

This is what it read:
Lauren,
I thought it would be time will spent to take a shot at trying to convey how grateful I am for your support over the past 18 months. I know it hasn't been easy to watch me finish school, on more than one level. It has placed a greater burden on you around the house and with Brooklyn. You have handled these responsibilities with grace and humility. I know on some level, you have also watched me grow in confidence and gain purpose, when these are things that you desire for yourself. Your willingness to place your dreams on hold confirms for me my responsibility to work with diligence and provide for our family.

I could not ask for a more perfect partner in life. My greatest desire is to provide for you and our family the kind of life that you deserve. God has blessed me richly by your presence in my life.

At the top of the letter were written these verses:

Proverbs 31:10-12
A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.

Proverbs 31:25-31
She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
“Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.”
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Honor her for all that her hands have done,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

So sweet, and so glad he found this. I am very, very blessed.

5 comments:

  1. So sweet! That's a keeper for sure. I love reading through all the old cards and notes Travis and I have given each other over the years. I keep them all in a memory box I started when we first started dating. I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FULL BODY CHILLS. What a great husband. What a great wife. You two inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears. You two are a perfect match, with a wonderfully strong, supportive and loving marriage! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm crying. That's the kind of stuff that gets you through the tough times. I'd laquer it with super-strength plastic binding and keep it forever. Although...you've probably already done that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet man you have. Soooo sweet that he put his gratitude into such kind and loving words for you!

    ReplyDelete