Saturday, September 17, 2011

I Do

Six years ago I said the two most important words I will ever say...I do.I have had so many moments over the past six years where I have just marveled at all God has done in my marriage. When matt and I met, we were both in pretty broken places emotionally and spiritually. I had actually chosen to take a complete break from dating all together after being hurt a few too many times. I hadn't had a serious boyfriend in 3 years. Then I met "him".

I was temping at the mortgage company that matt was working at with his dad at the time. He and his long time girlfriend from college had split about 8 months prior and he was carrying a bit of a chip on his shoulder. I remember my first day, sitting at the front desk in what was going to be a terribly boring job. All day long people came and went. Every guy that worked there was married. Ya, I noticed, sew me :)

The end of the day was approaching and I heard a voice I didn't recognize, a hand was wrapped around the wall dividing the hall and my desk. It did not have a ring on it. I was intrigued :) Out stepped Matt. I remember it like it was yesterday, he had a red ralph lauren t shirt on, khakis and was rockin the frosted tips. Despite the boy band hair, my stomach did flips. over.and.over. Now this is the part where he should walk right up to me to introduce himself, but if you know matt at all, you understand why he DIDN'T. He literally ignored me for like a week straight :) He said hi as he came and went, but he never pursued a conversation. I would stop him and ask every question I could think of to get some dialogue going. What I learned very quickly was he was shy, not the in your face hit on you every chance I get kind of jerk I always seemed to gravitate toward. hmmmm. We spent the next four weeks innocently flirting- big time. I at one point came home and told my mom I thought he was "the one". Mind you we still had never even seen each other outside of the office.

After working there for a month I was done. The gal I had been covering for was coming back and my temp job was over. I said my goodbyes to all the great people I had met, and to all the older married ladies dismay Matt had still not asked for my number or a date. There was a mutany of wrath coming his way and he didn't even know it. At 4:55 on Friday, my last day, matt, the unmarried hottie at the office walked up to me and said "we're throwing a party for my buddy's birthday tomorrow night and I want to cordially invite you". If you know matt, you get that the cordially part was a joke :) I was doing back flips in my head, and once again in my stomach. He gave me the address and ONE day notice!! Seriously man, you couldn't have asked me  a week ago so I could line up a friend to tag along. So, I begged a girlfriend to come and we went.

The rest as they say is history. It was a great party, filled with all the same guy friends he has today. We laughed and danced and one of us may or may not have done a somersault off a couch to impress the other one after a few beers- **ehem. The next day he called to ask me out on a true date. He picked me up, took me to the restaurant Beaches where he asked to see my license (he made up some excuse) which I only learned 4 years later was to jog his memory on my last name. smooth babe. Then we went to see "american wedding" (terrible movie btw).

We have been crazy for each other ever since. It wasn't more than two weeks after that first date that my mom came to me and said "I think you are right, he's the one".

Two years later we said I do. Best day of my life, best decision of my life. I was 23 when we got married and have talked with friends who were that young or younger when they tied the knot as well. We agree that we were idiots when we were 23, still young and naive. It was nothing short of God's provision that I married matt. He is my perfect compliment and makes me a better person every day.

Here were his vows:
Lauren, I was captivated by you from the first moment I laid eyes on you. It took me a while to summon the courage to talk to you, but when I did, I discovered the most wonderful heart behind the incredible beauty. We have both been through so much in our short lives. There is hurt in our pasts that we didnt' think anyone else could understand. But we have always found comfort in each others company.

I know it isnt' a coincidence that we are standing here together today. God's plan for our lives is being executed to perfection at this moment. Yet I still can't stand here looking at you and not think to myself "how did I get this lucky?" The fact that I have been blessed with someone like you: someone so caring, so beautiful, so intelligent, so passionate, so dedicated, so inspiring, so perfect for me, confirms for me that this was meant to be. I could spend ten lifetimes trying to pay God back for the blessing he bestowed on me when he brought you into my life, and I wouldn't even come close.
I know that there will be challenges in the coming months and years, but I will be there with you, offering a smile, a joke, an embrace, but most importantly , a heart that wants nothing more than to see you happy. God doesn't guarantee us happiness, but I know that if I spend each day demonstrating how much I truly love you and live every moment in total commitment to you and to our marriage, God will bless us. That is my promise to you. The greatest testament I can give for why I am standing here at this moment is simple: I can't imagine spending another day without you as my wife. And if you let me, I will start right now trying to pay the Lord back through the love I have for you, my wife. I love you Lauren.

Matt, you have more than fulfilled your vows. You have made what was a very up and down six years a gift. We have been through so much pain, and yet come out stronger and more in love than ever. Your ability to know my heart and anticipate my needs even before I have to ask is amazing. There are not a lot of men who could have handled our trials, let alone handled them with such tremendous grace, compassion, empathy, understanding and unconditional love.

You will always be my best friend, the love of my life. God made no mistake in giving me YOU. Amazing you.








Happy anniversary love. xo

3 comments:

  1. BEST POST EVER! I have this date on my calendar and you got to it before i could say congratulations! Tygh and I were just saying the other day how in awe we are of you both. you both have come SOOOOO FAR since we first met and we couldn't be more thrilled to call you amongst our closest of friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Favorite, to be sure. No fair making the pregnant girl cry over her laptop. *sniff*

    ReplyDelete