Tuesday, June 21, 2011

father's day fever 2011

Father's day was what we like to call "reality father's day". There was no golf, no breakfast in bed, no banners hanging from the wall saying "happy father's day", we didn't even have dinner. :( we ordered take out for lunch and then were so tired by dinner we just ate dessert. yup, you heard me, we had strawberry shortcake followed by pita chips and hummus.
benny boy asleep on mama sat night

Ben got a fever on friday and by satruday night at 8pm it was 104.3. ugh. we did what we were told and medicated and monitored him. by sunday afternoon the fever broke and seemed to be in great spirits, but woke up early yesterday morning with a raging fever of 105 again. I gave him motrin and he was just writhing in discomfort and checked his temp again at 4 after he slept for a few minutes on my chest and it had barely gone down...so packed him up and headed to the ER. Thank God all the tests came back normal and they were able to re-hydrate him and get his fever gone completley. Not a fun day, but walked away feeling so thankful for our health. Seeing my baby in a hospital gown hooked up to an IV has to be one of the single most sobering moments of my life.

So he woke up this morning with a rash all over his back and neck, probably from the high temps; but his fever has remained "almost" gone for 24 hours. We're going to see his ped at 3pm today. I'll update more then. I have been walking around with a knot in my stomach. It just hurts to see them hurt. you know? They are so helpless and I would give anything to take that pain and discomfort from him.

I started to cry to myself (probably a little pity, mixed with a little relaxation finally) this morning while doing the dishes. I've just felt so unsettled and such a lack of peace. I looked at my phone to see what the date was...and it hit me. It's the 21st, the 22nd is the date we found out all the horrible stuff with luke (2 days before matt's 30th birthday). There is something hard wired in me that always feels "unsettled" on this day as it is.

2 comments:

  1. poor baby! I am sorry you had such a lousy day. it is awful to see them sick. Our pedi always says that the rash is a sign the virus is heading on out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wonderful mommy, and deserve all the love coming your way! Days like that do make you appreciate the goodies, but are still desperately hard to get through. Once more, I have a reason to admire your strength. xoxo

    ReplyDelete