Friday, September 7, 2012

Letter to my daughter

My precious daughter,

You are four. You are four years old this week, and my heart overflows with love for you a little more every second of every day.

I can't believe you have grown from being my 6.10 oz newborn to my big four year old.
You amaze me. The things you say, do, choose, don't choose, discover every day. You are a unique and incredibly special little lady.

You are no longer completely dependent on mom and dad, quite the contrary. These days you brush your own hair and teeth, you choose your own clothes (and I have come to love seeing your daily ensemble), you buckle yourself into your car seat, you can draw (like truly, you have SO much talent) pictures of ALL kinds of amazing things. I actually took some pictures of some art you had just been doodling and collecting a few weeks back. I am in awe of this gift you have.
You can clear your dishes from the table, you make your bed almost every day.

All of these things are big milestones, they represent your independence; and you love your independence.

You will tell us when you simply need some privacy or alone time. You will excuse yourself to your room and play quietly with all of your treasures (which you squirrel and hide away under your bookshelf and bed so your brother won't find them). I love that you can do that, but there are moments where I feel this pang of loss...gone are the days where you needed me ALL the time.

Thankfully you are still quite the snuggle bug. You often want "uppa" which is what you started saying when you first began talking. You adore having mom and dad all to yourself.

Your great loves and interests aside from drawing right now are ballet, gardening, your scooter, playing with Benny, reading and swimming. You had a blast swimming in grandpa's pool this summer! So fearless too.

My sweet girl...we love you more than life itself. My prayer is that your zest for life and passionate personality is always growing and that your compassion for others and love for the less fortunate continues to be how God uses you...always.

Always,
Mom & Dad

2 comments: